Friday 14 December 2012

Play the Game

My faith in love is blind.
Not that it matters,
she never shows her face around here anyway.
That's if I'd even recognise her.
I couldn't care.
I'm flat broke and blind drunk.
So I turn my attention elsewhere
and Lady Luck is looking good as ever.
I can always find the time
to settle down
to a game of cards.
I can always find the money to lose too.

I won the first few times - got hooked.
Lost a game - never looked back.
but I'm playing just the same,
I can't see where I'm going wrong.
Then again, I am blind drunk.
And now flat broke.
More so than before.

Before I know it,
it's the crack of dawn and
my ribs are cracked and
I'll need three stitches above my eye.
My car keys are gone,
they kept those for themselves when
they left me in the street.
What's worse, my car is too
worthless to repay my debt.
Sober minded with
my hung-over eyes sun-blinded, I
climb to my feet with one thing on my mind.
Eggs & bacon.

I'll need the strength to play the game again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god this is fucking awesome!!! " Sober-minded with my hungover-eyes sun-blinded" !!!! Beautiful work. Just beautiful. All of it! I am blown away, I wish this was mine. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of the finest compliments I could ever receive. Ever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome work!
    wish it would be mine though ;)
    The first lines just blow me away

    ReplyDelete